Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This rice pudding is our best! I find all others fails me, as they burn easily. With the cold winds coming in from Northern Canada, and my husbands hockey season started, what other comfort food serves better than this...
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 5 1⁄2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla beans, split lengthwise or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 2⁄3 cup converted long grain rice
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- whipped cream (to accompany)
- Cover raisins with hot water for 30 minutes, drain and reserve.
- In heavy saucepan combine 4 cups milk, vanilla bean, sugar and salt.
- Bring to a boil, stir in rice, simmer over low heat, covered, till tender (40-50 minutes).
- Remove vanilla bean, scrape seeds into rice.
- In bowl, whisk together egg, egg yolks& 1 1/2 cups milk.
- Stir egg mixture& raisins into rice.
- (If using vanilla extract, add it now.) Place rice in buttered baking dish.
- Place in larger pan& add hot water to reach halfway up sides of baking dish.
- Bake in preheated 400 degrees F.
- oven 25 min.
- Stir, bake 25 min.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake 25 min.
- Remove dish from water bath.
- Serve warm or cold with whipped cream if desired.