Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the most rich curd you will ever taste! The balance of sweet and tart is perfect. Prepare for lemony perfection...
- 5⁄8 cup lemon juice
- 2 large oranges, zest of
- 5 tablespoons butter, diced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 -2 egg yolk (this will make the curd really thick, more like jam or butter than the usual custard texture) (optional)
- Put the zest, butter, sugar and juice in a heatproof metal bowl.
- Stand the bowl over a pan of boiling water and heat until the sugar and butter have melted.
- Lower the heat, you don’t want the water to boil now - more like a simmer.
- Whisk in the beaten eggs (and yolks if using), just in a small stream, really slowly.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until thickened, about 25-30 minutes.
- Store in the fridge.