Recipe by Gingersnapp
These gingersnaps are super easy and super tasty. I brought these to work for a cookie exchange and everyone raved about how wonderful they were. I found the original recipe in my daughter's 'Taste of Home' cookbook and it is definitely a keeper! I have made a few changes and added a few tips to guaranteed success. Enjoy!
Top Review by girlindirt
Very nice. I used a heaping tablespoon of fresh grated ginger and it's juice, super nice. Next time I think I'll try creaming some butter with the sugar instead of the oil see if I can get a richer flavor and maintain the chewy deliciousness.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup additional sugar, for rolling cookies
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 dashes allspice, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and oil.
- Beat in eggs.
- Stir in molasses.
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and salt.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients mixing well.
- Place additional sugar in a shallow bowl or on a plate. Shape dough into 1 inches balls and roll into sugar.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool. Store the cookies in a covered container with a slice of bread. It sounds odd but the bread will keep the cookies soft and chewy.