1/2 Photos of The Best Ever Cherry Hamentashen
1 hr 15 mins
Caryn Gale's Note:
We eat hamentashen on the holiday Purim. They are triangle shaped cookies because Haman had a triangle shaped hat. My dad owns a bakery and is a baker my whole life. He makes these hamentashen every Purim. They are my favorite. When I was in college he always mailed me a box. Now I just make them myself. Hamentashen are traditionally filled with poppyseed filling or prune filling, but my Dad makes other flavors too. Cherry is my favorite, but you can also use apricot jam or use your imagination.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cream margarine in mixer bowl.
- 2Add sugar and beat till fluffy.
- 3Beat in egg, lemon peel, and vanilla.
- 4Add in flour and salt.
- 5Beat in water a few drops at a time until dough starts to come away from sides of bowl.
- 6Place dough in a 2-quart size bag and form into a flat disk.
- 7Refrigerate for a minimum of 2-3 hours and maximum of 2-3 days.
- 8Roll out dough flat about an 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- 9Using a round cookie cutter or the top of a cup, cut out circles.
- 10Spoon 2 cherries and a little bit of filling onto the dough circles.
- 11To fold into the shape of a hamentashen (a triangle) use both thumbs and the two first fingers on each hand.
- 12Slide two fingers from left hand under left side and two fingers from right hand under right side and two thumbs under the bottom of circle.
- 13Bring all fingers (with dough) together to form a triangle and try to pinch close.
- 14Repeat this process with remaining circles and dough.
- 15Place on a cookie sheet lined with baking paper.
- 16Sprinkle a small amount of sugar on top of each one.
- 17Bake at 350°F for 12-15 minutes or just starting to turn pale golden.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Ever Cherry Hamentashen
Serving Size: 1 (69 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 248.5
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 15.5 mg
- Sodium 130.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 3.1 g