Recipe by sheriboren
This is an adopted recipe from Mean Chef. This looks really great to me and can't wait to try it, as I really enjoy Carnitas. Mean Chef word's are: The special ingredient is Pepsi and this is fabulous. you can use carnitas in tortillas, serve like BBQ pork or great at a picinic on rolls. Recipe from Rio Bravo
Top Review by Tinks599
This was very good...and I had so much meat left I cleaned it the following day (wearing Nitrile gloves makes this much quicker, easier and efficient...and less yucky!). I took some of the congealed broth, and a pan and heated it up in the skillet until the meat was brown and crispy. It just went from very good to frickin' awesome! I highly recommend this as a make ahead and heat it up in a skillet...wow!
- 1360.77 g pork butt or 1360.77 g pork shoulder
- 1 orange, quartered
- 4.92 ml garlic, chopped
- 7.39 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 236.59 ml Pepsi, plus
- more Pepsi, as needed
- 177.44 ml oil or 177.44 ml shortening
Fuego spice mix yields 1 cup use 1T
- 59.14 ml paprika
- 9.85 ml cayenne
- 29.58 ml salt
- 9.85 ml white pepper
- 29.58 ml ground black pepper
- 29.58 ml garlic granules
- 29.58 ml chili powder
- 29.58 ml oregano
Agua Negra Marinade yields 3 1/4 cups use 1 cup
- 236.59 ml soy sauce
- 473.18 ml pineapple juice
- 29.58 ml cumin
- 9.85 ml garlic, minced
- 59.14 ml fresh lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Fuego spice mix (recipe# 66927): Combine all ingredients, mixing well.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- Agua Negra Marinade (recipe# 66927): combine all ingredients with a whisk.
- Stores in the refrigerator for 2 days.
- Carnitas: Trim away excess fat from pork and cut into 3 inch cubes.
- Dust meat with Fuego spice mix and press to adhere well.
- Squeeze juice from oranges into an airtight nonreactive container, add peels, garlic,pepper, pepsi and Aqua Negra marinade- mix to combine well.
- Add seasoned meat and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove meat from the marinade (reserve marinade) the next day when you are ready to cook.
- Heat oil/shortening in a large heavy skillet over high heat until fat is smoking; add pork and brown completely on all sides- about 15 minutes.
- Add reserved marinade and simmer for about 2 hours or until pork is tender and dark brown- add additional Pepsi as needed while cooking to keep meat covered.
- Remove meat and chop into 3/4 inch pieces.