This is an adopted recipe from Mean Chef. This looks really great to me and can't wait to try it, as I really enjoy Carnitas. Mean Chef word's are: The special ingredient is Pepsi and this is fabulous. you can use carnitas in tortillas, serve like BBQ pork or great at a picinic on rolls. Recipe from Rio Bravo
- 3 lbs pork butt or 3 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 orange, quartered
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup Pepsi, plus
- more Pepsi, as needed
- 3⁄4 cup oil or 3⁄4 cup shortening
Fuego spice mix yields 1 cup use 1T
- 1⁄4 cup paprika
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic granules
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons oregano
Agua Negra Marinade yields 3 1/4 cups use 1 cup
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- Fuego spice mix (recipe# 66927): Combine all ingredients, mixing well.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- Agua Negra Marinade (recipe# 66927): combine all ingredients with a whisk.
- Stores in the refrigerator for 2 days.
- Carnitas: Trim away excess fat from pork and cut into 3 inch cubes.
- Dust meat with Fuego spice mix and press to adhere well.
- Squeeze juice from oranges into an airtight nonreactive container, add peels, garlic,pepper, pepsi and Aqua Negra marinade- mix to combine well.
- Add seasoned meat and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove meat from the marinade (reserve marinade) the next day when you are ready to cook.
- Heat oil/shortening in a large heavy skillet over high heat until fat is smoking; add pork and brown completely on all sides- about 15 minutes.
- Add reserved marinade and simmer for about 2 hours or until pork is tender and dark brown- add additional Pepsi as needed while cooking to keep meat covered.
- Remove meat and chop into 3/4 inch pieces.