1/4 Photos of The Best Ever Carnitas
2 hrs 30 mins
This is an adopted recipe from Mean Chef. This looks really great to me and can't wait to try it, as I really enjoy Carnitas. Mean Chef word's are: The special ingredient is Pepsi and this is fabulous. you can use carnitas in tortillas, serve like BBQ pork or great at a picinic on rolls. Recipe from Rio Bravo
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs pork butt or 3 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 orange, quartered
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup Pepsi, plus
- more Pepsi, as needed
- 3/4 cup oil or 3/4 cup shortening
Fuego spice mix yields 1 cup use 1T
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic granules
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons oregano
Agua Negra Marinade yields 3 1/4 cups use 1 cup
- 1Fuego spice mix (Fuego Spice Mix): Combine all ingredients, mixing well.
- 2Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- 3Agua Negra Marinade (Fuego Spice Mix): combine all ingredients with a whisk.
- 4Stores in the refrigerator for 2 days.
- 5Carnitas: Trim away excess fat from pork and cut into 3 inch cubes.
- 6Dust meat with Fuego spice mix and press to adhere well.
- 7Squeeze juice from oranges into an airtight nonreactive container, add peels, garlic,pepper, pepsi and Aqua Negra marinade- mix to combine well.
- 8Add seasoned meat and refrigerate overnight.
- 9Remove meat from the marinade (reserve marinade) the next day when you are ready to cook.
- 10Heat oil/shortening in a large heavy skillet over high heat until fat is smoking; add pork and brown completely on all sides- about 15 minutes.
- 11Add reserved marinade and simmer for about 2 hours or until pork is tender and dark brown- add additional Pepsi as needed while cooking to keep meat covered.
- 12Remove meat and chop into 3/4 inch pieces.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Ever Carnitas
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 899.7
- Calories from Fat 583
- Total Fat 64.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 149.6 mg
- Sodium 5202.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 15.9 g
- Protein 50.6 g