Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I'm not a huge fan of brown rice but once I'd tasted this salad I just couldn't get enough. It's very refreshing and versitile and everyone I know loves it.
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups cashew nuts
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sultana (optional)
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (optional)
- Place the lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar and worcestershire sauce in a screw top jar and shake well.
- Cook the brown rice acording to the packet instructions, drain and place in a bowl. While the rice is still warm, mix in all the other ingredients including the dressing, stir thoroughly.
- Serve at room temperature.
I was looking for a nice rice salad that could be served at room temperature as we were going out on a boat for july 4th and I didn't want to worry about keeping something cold or hot. this was perfect! it is delicious because it is light, healthy and tastes so fresh. it does need salt, otherwise it tastes a little bland. I have made this 3 times already - I have added a chopped avocado and that was good too!
Really yummy and refeshing summer salad - great for a barbeque. I cut back on the onions a bit and added fresh basil. Great colours and combination of flavours