1/1 Photo of The Best Deep Dish Pizza Pie
10 hrs 50 mins
The history of this pizza goes back to a dr. who perfected the recipe after delivering pizza for several months. I only added a few changes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons white cornmeal
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage, mild or hot to your preference
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, sliced or diced (or if you like it a little sweet use 1/2 red and 1/2 green)
- 6 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 slice black olives
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel, finely ground (you may want less. Some people prefer the whole fennel to the ground you can use either.) (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 lb herkimer white cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1Grease a 14" deep dish pie pan and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- 2Mix your yeast, sugar and warm water.
- 3Let stand 10 min.
- 4until it becomes bubbly.
- 5Add flour, salt, and oil.
- 6Knead until it is smooth.
- 7A food processor can be used for this using the metal blade.
- 8If the dough is too sticky add more flour, but only 1 tblsp.
- 9at a time until it is the right consistency.
- 10Place the dough into an oiled bowl with a plastic covering it.
- 11Refrigerate it at this point for 1 to 10 hours.
- 12To make the Filling: Remove all the meat from the casing and brown, breaking it up into pieces.
- 14Saute the onion, peppers, and mushrooms.
- 15Add to the sausage.
- 16Add the rest of the ingredients except the cheeses.
- 18grate the cheese.
- 19A food processor can be used for coarse chop.
- 20Topping: Mix all the topping ingredints in a bowl.
- 21Put aside.
- 22To Put the Pizza Together: Roll out the dough on a floured board until it is elastic.
- 23Place in a greased pan with cornmeal.
- 24Leave a high rim all around.
- 25Place cheese directly on dough, next filling, sauce on top.
- 26Carefully place this pan into a pre-heated 425* oven for 45-50 min.
- 27NOTE:A Vegetarian Pizza can be made easily without the meat.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Deep Dish Pizza Pie
Serving Size: 1 (3028 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6378.6
- Calories from Fat 3265
- Total Fat 362.8 g
- Saturated Fat 159.7 g
- Cholesterol 855.2 mg
- Sodium 18283.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 470.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 36.1 g
- Sugars 67.0 g
- Protein 311.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: