Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes from my long time friend, Tracy. I really can not believe she shared it with me.....all this time, I thought she cast some magic spell over the frying pan to make them taste so good! Turns out it was just the saltine crackers! The mystery is over...... Do keep in mind, that this is NOT a "batter" recipe (if you love breading, you may want to try something else). The coating is light and crispy and you end up with more coverage on the 'interior' part of the pepper than the exterior. I think they are wonderful this way!
- Heat vegetable oil in frying pan over medium heat.
- In medium bowl, mix together equal parts corn meal and crushed saltines.
- Prepare another shallow bowl of buttermilk.
- Dip banana peppers in buttermilk.
- Coat with cornmeal/cracker mixture.
- Fry in veg oil over medium heat until golden brown.
- Drain/cool slightly on paper towels.
- Enjoy alone or with cocktail sauce!
Blech! Did not like.
Our banana pepper plants in the garden are putting out peppers more quickly than I can find recipes. These were really pretty good. I didn't know exactly what they meant by slicing them lengthwise - as in, whether to slice through one side and leave the pepper whole, or to completely slice into two halves. I went with slicing them into halves. Dh and I loved them. The kids tolerated them, lol. It's not a batter-dip at all, but it just adds some crunch to the peppers. It was definitely good and worth making again. I served them with ranch dressing dip.
All I have to say, is the name of the recipe speaks for itself. I went with The Grumpy Chefs lead and found some ranch dressing, so I made a bowl of that. Kids loved them too. Very easy to make. Made for 1-2-3 hits.