1/1 Photo of The Best Damn Clam Chowder Ever
If you like a thick clam chowder, this recipe is not for you. However, if you like a brothy clam chowder, where you can really taste the clams, this one is for you.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 -6 1/2 ounces chopped clams, liquid reserved
- 24 ounces bottled clam juice
- 4 ounces diced prosciutto (or chopped bacon)
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- white pepper, to taste
- 1In a large soup pot, brown prosciutto, or bacon over medium-low heat until crisp.
- 2Add the onion and cook until softened.
- 3Add the flour and stir until lightly colored, about a minute.
- 4Slowly whisk in the clam broth, reserved clam liquid, potatoes, bay leaf and thyme. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- 5Add the clams, cream, fresh parsley, salt and white pepper.
- 6Bring to a simmer and serve immediately.
- 7(You may substitute any type of shellfish, or even fish for the clams in this recipe.).
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Damn Clam Chowder Ever
Serving Size: 1 (469 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 380.0
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 98.5 mg
- Sodium 422.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 10.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: