Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
That's the way the recipe was titled when I got it from a friend and I saw no reason to change the name. Summer is coming and this is the perfect snack for warm weather. I prefer baked wheat crackers as a base but I'm sure any other cracker or thinly sliced miniature bread loaf will work well too. Don't be put off by the initial steps; it's worth the effort! No cooking and prep time does not include a cool down in the refrigerator to blend the flavors.
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 11 ounces cream cheese (one 8 oz. and one 3 oz. package)
- 3 green onions, finely chopped with greens
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (seasoned is fine)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- cracker (or miniature bread loaf sliced)
- Peel the cucumbers. Slice them in half lengthwise; remove the seeds with a spoon or melon baller. Grate the cucumber halves by hand or with a food processor.
- Here is the part that makes it work; squeeze the liquid out of the grated cucumbers by the handful, then place them on several layers of paper towels. Cover with additional layers and press down hard to squeeze out all the moisture. The rest is easy!
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade (or in the medium mixing bowl of an electric mixer), combine the cream cheese, green onions, parsley, mayonnaise, garlic salt, chives, pepper and hot pepper sauce; process or mix until well blended.
- Carefully stir in the cucumbers. Add more mayonnaise if needed, to get a spreading consistency. Refrigerate for a few hours before serving.
- Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for a maximum of 7 to 10 days.
This is one of my favorite recipes! When I first started my low carb diet. I would eat this all the time. This is fresh and really a good anytime treat!!! Good on crackers,as a sandwich spread or my favorite way, just with a spoon. I add a little more black pepper and leave off the chives.
I prepared the spread the same way you did. Still very good. I used rye bread squares. Excellent. Thank you.