Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A Southern staple. This is ALWAYS requested by those who have had it during cook out season. Fast easy and cheap!
- 3 large cucumbers
- 1 medium shallot (2 thinly sliced green onions work also)
- 1 tablespoon dried dill or 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- Thinly slice cucumbers. I use a mandoline for perfect thin cuts.
- Place cucumber in a large bowl adding salt through out the cucumbers.
- Place a plate over the cucumbers as to add weight ( i usually put my olive oil can on top of the plate for added pressure). This step is to withdraw as much extra water as possible. Cover for 1 hours.
- Mix vinegars, sugar and dill, taste, making adjustments for that tangy taste.
- Empty excess water from cucumbers and add shallots and vinegar dressing.
- Ideally let sit for another hour, but its hard to resist for that long.
Hard to beat this combination! I used red onion instead of the shallots, but it tasted great anyway.