Recipe by H. Cato
This is just FABULOUS! Mainly for holidays, or special occasions. I got the recipe from my sister-in-law. She has a couple of recipes that she makes every year at holidays, and this is one of them. She gave it to me, and now, I make it for the other side of the family, and for friends. It's Great!
Top Review by wildinwy
I have a similar recipe...we use 1 cup pecans. We whip tbe heavy cream to stiff peaks and then fold in the mini marshmallows and let it sit for at 2 hrs or overnight. Tip: if you freeze your cranberries before you mince them its much easier. When it comes time to mix the two mixtures together we lightly drain the pineapple and fold everything together. We usually get to this point the next morning. This is a special holiday dish, because that is the only time they have fresh cranberries in the store. My mother-in-law use to make this for my husband every holiday, its been 14 years and he has not missed a holiday without this salad.
- 1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries (minced fine)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, juice and all (the small cans, like a tuna can)
- 1⁄2 cup black walnut
- 0.5 (16 ounce) package mini marshmallows
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Mince cranberries with a hand-blender, food-processor, or some kind of chopper.
- I use my Braun hand-blender, and the little cup it came with, which is used to chop things really small (rather than pureeing them, which the blender would probably do, if I used it without the cup).
- But you only fill it a 1/4 to a 1/2 full each time, or they won't be minced properly.
- (cranberries may be prepared up to 3 days in advance) In a bowl, mix the first four ingredients, and refrigerate for at least one hour, best if overnight.
- In the morning, or shortly before serving, whip the whipping cream until it peaks.
- Set aside.
- Add the marshmallows to the cranberry mixture, until thoroughly incorporated into the mix.
- Then slowly fold in the whipped cream, until it's completely mixed.
- Refrigerate until serving.