Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
One recipe of this is never enough in our family, we always have to double or triple the batch. Cook time is actually chilling time.
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 avocados
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 -5 roma tomatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Combine all ingredients except the avocado.
- Allow to sit in the refrigerator for several hours, or overnight.
- Peel and dice the avocados just before serving.
- Add avocado to remaining ingredients and stir gently to combine.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
- Adjust amounts of any ingredients to your preferred taste.
This was very good - I made a couple of changes based on what I had on hand - I used a can on Rotel tomatoes, well drained, plus 1 can diced tomatoes well drained instead of fresh due to the staggering cost of fresh (and unimpressive-looking) tomatoes at the store. Since I used the Rotel tomatoes, which are quite spicy, I omitted the Tabasco sauce. I will make this again, but will probably use black beans instead. There was nothing wrong with the black-eyed peas in this recipe - I just love black beans! Made for Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #15.