Recipe by Michele Lee
Got this recipe from a Family Circle magazine years ago. I am so glad I found it, it is one of my favorite recipes and is always a hit!! Note: Servings and yields are estimated as it depends on what size shrimp you use.
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) bottle Chinese duck sauce
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 pounds.- shrimp, large or 1 medium size shrimp
- 3⁄4 cup blanched whole almond
- 7 ounces about 2 2/3 cups sweetened flaked coconut, divided
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dipping Sauce:.
- In small bowl combine all ingredients. Stir till smooth. If makeing ahead of time and refrigerating, return to room temp before serving.
- Coconut Shrimp:. Buy shrimp cleaned and with the tails Left On --
- 1. Rinse shrimp in cool water and pat dry.
- 2. In food processor, combine almonds and 2/3 cup of coconut. Pulse till finely ground.
- 3. In medium size shallow dish, blend together almond-coconut mixture, remaining coconut and flour.
- 4. In small bowl whisk together eggs and salt. Set up assembly line for coating shrimp.
- 5.Dip a few pieces in eggs, allowing excess to drip back in bowl. Then coat in in coconut mixture gently pressing with hands to help it adhere.
- 6. Place on waxed paper lined bakeing sheet. At this point You can cover in plastic wrap and store till ready to fry. (I have done it to this point about 5 hours in advance with no problems).
- 7. Heat oil to 375 degrees on deep fry thermometer, if you don't have a thermometer, fry a 1 inch bread cube. It should crisp up golden brown in 30 - 40 seconds.
- 8. Fry shrimp a few at a time, 1 to 2 minutes, till golden brown.
- 9. Remove with slotted spoon and let drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm shrimp with dipping sauce and Enjoy!