Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A cake I have made for years, it always bakes out moist and delicious, I also like to add in 1 teaspoon cinnamon into the dry mix :)
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water or 1 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts or 1⁄3 cup pecans, chopped
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set oven to second-lowest rack.
- Grease an 8 x 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a bowl mix together the first 6 dry ingredients.
- In another bowl whisk the water or milk with oil, egg, vinegar and vanilla; add to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Transfer/spread into prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips and walnuts over batter, swirl with a knife to mix into batter.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until cake tests done.
This is so easy and fast. Perfect snack cake. Light texture and moist, and just chocolatey enough. I will make this often because the ingredients are simple things that I always have on hand.
this looked and tasted so promising but somewhere I must've made a major blunder for it to have turned out the way it did. first off I added only one egg as per the recipe but considering that the size of my egg was small I should've used two. Next, since my 4 year old was helping me with the baking we ended up overmixing the batter. anyway the finished product was very dense and chewy to the point of being rubbery. It was also very, very heavy to the point of nauseating me when I had a slice. Maybe I'll use water or skimmed milk next time instead of full cream milk. Having firm faith in Kitten's recipes as absolutely fool proof I will definitely try it again. It had too much promise to be passed up just like that.
Yup - it's the best chocolate snack cake!! Cut down a bit on the brown sugar and used low-fat milk. Didn't add any walnuts. Brought this to the office and was gone within an hour - so I guess it means it is The BEST Chocolate Snack Cake! Thanks Kit! :)