Recipe by bert
I was babysitting a friend's baby one day and she brought me some of these for a reward. I insisted on the recipe and here it is. These freeze very well, too, if you have them that long.
Top Review by livimeikle
My mother-in-law has made these every day for 30 + years, and nobody ever gets tired of them. She is famous throughout the neighborhood for them. But the real secret is only baking them for about 8 minutes--they don't crisp up at all, they are very very soft. Just take them out about 1-2 minutes before you usually would think you should, and you will gain a reputation as the best baker around.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (12 ounce) package chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening, sugars, eggs and vanilla until very fluffy.
- Sift together dry ingredients; stir into creamed mixture.
- Add chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate til well chilled.
- Drop from teaspoon 2" apart onto a cool greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.
- If I'm in a hurry, I omit putting the dough in the fridge to chill. Still comes out fine.