Recipe by Christina K.
Instead of frosting I use a glaze, petit fours icing, or I simply dust the cake with powdered sugar. This is similar to another recipe I found, but I wanted to know the nutritional value of the cake without the frosting, so I am publishing the recipe again. Hopefully you will find it useful as well! Also, I only use fair trade certified cocoa, sugar, and coffee because of slavery in these industries, you can learn more about this from the Not For Sale Campaign and the CNN Freedom Project.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (fair trade)
- 2 cups sugar (fair trade)
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup hot coffee (fair trade)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (fair trade)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease and flour the baking pan(s); use a 9" x 13" pan, a Bundt pan, or two 9" round pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
- Add oil, coffee and milk and mix at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat 2 more minutes. Expect batter to be quite thin.
- Bake in a 9" x 13" pan or Bundt pan for about 45 minutes, or in 9" round pans for about 30 minutes. Cool in pans for about 15 minutes and then cool completely on racks.