1/5 Photos of The Best Chocolate Cake (Really!)
1 hr 15 mins
I made this cake for my little brother's 12th birthday with the request of a chocolate cake. It was truly amazing- weeks later my family (nonetheless after being stuffed with a huge dinner and dessert) was still talking about how fabulous the cake was! Nice and moist and the frosting...oooh. Recipe for a 9"x13" pan, but can be made as a wonderful layer cake. Prep time includes cooling and frosting (with some extra leeway). From www.donogh.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Melt chocolate, either on the stove or in the microwave and set aside.
- 3Beat butter in large mixer bowl then add brown sugar and eggs, and beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add vanilla and melted chocolate, and beat to combine.
- 5Combine flour, baking soda, and salt and add to chocolate mixture gradually, alternating with sour cream, beating after each addition.
- 6Stir boiling water into the batter - the batter will be thin.
- 7Pour into two 9 inch round cake pans which have been greased and floured.
- 8Bake for 35 minutes, until cake centre springs back when touched.
- 9Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans. Allow to cool completely before applying frosting.
- 10***For the frosting***.
- 11Combine brown sugar, butter and milk in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 12Continue to boil, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
- 13Cool to lukewarm.
- 14Stir in icing sugar and continue to stir until the right consistency to spread.
- 15(There should probably be a small film wanting to form on top ideally, but no real crystalization.) Spread over cooled cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Chocolate Cake (Really!)
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 783.9
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat 17.0 g
- Cholesterol 136.9 mg
- Sodium 710.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 128.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 102.6 g
- Protein 7.1 g