Recipe by Emily Passaro
My grandmother taught me how to make this cake. This is the most moist chocolate cake I have ever tasted. It was my dad's favorite and now it is my husband's favorite too. The first 11 ingredients are for the cake and the last 6 are for the icing.
Top Review by Lavender Lynn
I used all the ingredients as listed for the cake. It is a very delicious chocolate cake. It is very moist and good. You could not taste the flavor of coffee. My house was filled with teenagers last night and they ate it all up except for the last piece. I didn't use the icing on the recipe. I used a chocolate frosting because I only like chocolate frosting on chocolate cake.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (I use Gold Medal brand)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add oil, coffee, and milk; mix at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat for 2 more minutes. Batter will be thin.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool cakes for 15 minutes before removing from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
- To make the icing, combine the milk and flour in a saucepan and cook until thick, stirring often to prevent it from being lumpy. Cover and refrigerate until cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter, shortening, sugar, and vanilla until creamy.
- Add chilled milk/flour mixture and beat for 10 minutes.
- Frost cake after is it completely cool.
- Refrigerate cake until just before serving.