This is the best chili recipe I have ever tried. I'm not sure where the recipe originated, but it is amazing! Sometimes, I don't bother adding all four cans of the kidney beans and it still turns out wonderful. Once anyone tastes this chili, they will be begging for the recipe!! Enjoy!
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 lb beef sirloin, cubed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 can dark beer
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 can beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 4 chili peppers, chopped
- Heat oil.
- Cook onions, garlic and meat until brown.
- Add tomatoes, beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth.
- Add spices Stir in 2 cans of kidney beans and peppers.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add 2 remaining cans of kidney beans and simmer for another 30 minutes.
When you call yourself the Best, you have alot to live up to and this chili just doesn't live up to the hype. Way too sweet and far too much emphasis on beer and coffee for flavor. Chili should taste like chili.. smoky, slightly sweet, spicy and a warm bite. This just doesn't cut it for me. Sorry.
This why i hate some3times trying to find recipes on the internet. I actually found this recipe on allrecipes and i it sounded good but after trying it i beg to differ. Like some other reviews said its way to sweet. Ive used 1-2 tbsp of brown sugar before which is just fine but 1/2 cup is WAY to much. I do admit it does get a little better the next day but its still not that great.
This is a sweet version of chili and doesn't compare to a true smoky Texas chili.