Recipe by ClarkeCC
My favorite way to make chili - it makes a nice, tangy dark chili more than a little spicy - very unusual. Not using the "optional" ingredients will give you a tasty, easy, cheap quick version.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb chorizo sausage (optional)
- 1 lb stew meat (optional)
- 3 medium onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 45 ounces tomato juice
- 1 cup water
- 3 -4 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 3 green peppers, chunked (optional)
- 6 tablespoons chili powder (to taste)
- 12 ounces ale (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa (optional)
- 1 cup strong black coffee (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup salsa verde (optional)
- 60 ounces dark red kidney beans (I prefer to use a mixture of kidney black pinto, and red beans)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (to even out the acidity)
- 2 tablespoons masa corn flour (optional) or 2 tablespoons flour (optional)
- 2 tablespoons water (optional)
- Cook meat onions and peppers and garlic.
- Add other ingredients, except flour and water.
- simmer 45 mins or more the longer the better.
- If you want the chili to be thicker, mix the masa and water, and add to chili about 20 minutes before serving.