Recipe by jefranck7433
This originally came from a magazine, but I made a few changes to it.
Top Review by kayarrr702
My boyfriend cooked this up a couple years ago after finding the recipe in Heartland USA magazine. He used ground beef, and pork and beans rather than baked beans. It was delicious, but the cornbread absorbed a lot of the liquid from the chili. Next time I might make the cornbread separately.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs ground meat (I used venison)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 16 ounces diced tomatoes
- 16 ounces tomato juice
- 16 ounces baked beans
- 16 ounces kidney beans (drained)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 2 cups corn muffin mix
- 15 ounces creamed corn
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground meat in oil.
- Place in large pot.
- Add onion, tomatoes, tomato juice, beans, kidney beans, salt, garlic, chili powder, and red pepper.
- Cook on medium heat for 30 minutes, and stir occasionally.
- In a separate bowl combine cream corn, corn muffin mix, milk and sugar.
- Pour chili in deep 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Pour the cornmeal mixture evenly over top of chili.
- Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 35 minutes, or until cornbread on top is golden brown.