Recipe by LorenLou
Tortilla soup as it should be.....trust me, everyone loves this....and it's from the Houston Jr. League "Stop and Smell the Rosemary".
Top Review by Beanie06
I made this last night for my BF and two of his male friends. It was completely gone. They loved it!! I cooked the chicken according to the "Crock Pot Shredded Chicken in Beer" recipe and let it simmer for another hour or so after I shredded it so it would absorb as much of that flavor as possible. I added diced green and red peppers with the onions, cilantro, and tortillas, and then added a can of whole kernel corn and a can of black beans with the chicken stock. I put it on low and let it simmer uncovered for about an hour and a half, stirring every 15-20 minutes or so. I didn't even have to add the cayenne pepper. The taste was concentrated and spicy and the broth thickened to our liking. I served it with shredded cheese, fried corn tortilla crisps, and sour cream on the side. Will DEFINITELY be making this again. Thank you so much LorenLou!
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 corn tortillas, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 large cooked chicken breast halves, shredded
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- diced avocado
- sour cream (optional)
- 2 corn tortillas, sliced and fried crisp (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the tortillas, garlic, cilantro and onion, cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, bringing to a boil.
- Add cumin, chili powder and bay leaves.
- Add chicken stock and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Add salt and cayenne and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and stir in shredded chicken.
- Garnish with Monterrey Jack cheese and avocado, and sour cream and fried tortillas if desired.