Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is my world famous chicken soup recipe. The secret is in the sweet potato and the cook time. I freeze the leftover liquid and then either use it as chicken stock or use it as a base to start my next chicken soup (yum!). I let this cook all day long because we like it dark, but it's all a matter of personal preference. (keep the cook time in mind for the salt amount--the more cook time, the less salt!) You can vary the vegetables but don't ever leave out the sweet potato!
- 1 lb chicken piece (wings, drumsticks, necks, whatever)
- 2 carrots
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 -2 onion
- 1 turnip
- 1 -2 stalk celery
- 1 kohlrabi (optional)
- 1 parsnip
- 1 zucchini
- 1 bunch dill
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons salt (or to taste)
- Peel all vegetables.
- Place dill, parsley, bay leaves, chicken pieces, and any vegetable you don't like eating in your bowl into a food net.
- Add net and all vegetables into a large pot (I use a 10 oz). Cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, let boil for about 20-40 minutes. Lower flame and simmer for 5-10 hours (or longer!).
- Enjoy! Serve with croutons and/or peeled white radish slices.