I learned how to make this soup when I was in Ecuador a couple of years ago and it is still the best recipe for chicken soup that I have ever tasted. Please let me know what you think of it.
For the stock
- 1 (3 -4 lb) whole chickens
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 large juicy tomato
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 1 med-small onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 celery, with leafy greens attached
- 3 -4 garlic heads
- 2 bay leaves
- salt, pepper and oregano to taste
For the soup
- 3 medium potatoes, cut up into small squares
- 1 poblano peppers or 1⁄2-1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 ounces frozen peas
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked rice
- 1 handful of both finely chopped parsley and cilantro
- To make the stock, place all of the ingredients from the first (for the stock) section in a large stockpot. Add just enough water to cover the chicken and let simmer under low heat for approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Turn off the heat and remove the chicken from the stock. Strain the chicken broth and if necessary, skim off any extra fat from the top with a ladle.
- Once the chicken is cool enough to handle with your hands, pull the chicken into large chunks and dispose of the skin and bones.
- To the stock and chicken chunks, add all the ingredients from the second (for the soup) section of ingredients.
- Let simmer for another 20 minutes or so until all the ingredients are cooked thoroughly and the flavors infuse together. Remove from heat and enjoy.