Recipe by Alyss05
This recipe is based on the Cook's Illustrated recipe from their Cover and Bake cookbook. As with all their recipes it is the best. But mine is better :) Like all casseroles this one freezes well once prepared to just before you put it in the oven.
Top Review by christina.mirabilis
Still facing leftover turkey? The answer. I just substitued cooked turkey for the raw chicken. Because I had cooked rice, I cut the milk to a cup and the broth to a 14 ounce (one can - normally I make my own but we had a little straining disorder . . . ) This was grrrrreat. Some unusual things but everything was perfect. Rather than the seasoning salt and cayenne, I substituted Tony Chachere's seasoning. Gotta be better than equal, for true. Yes, I am 1/8 Cajun and was raised about 60 percent culturally Cajun. It's my maternal line back to my great-grandmother, and they were all Cajun/Acadian/French before that except for the Melansons, who have a bit of Scotch thrown in. The people, not the whisky. I always use the liquids from - for example, the green beans, in the sauce. Some mushrooms - even canned - horrors! Well, that wouldn't be a bad addition. I used sharp cheddar cheese. I had some fresh parsley and green onions, which I added. I press my garlic and let it sit for at least 15 minutes before I add it to a dish. I even screwed up the flour - I forgot it and put it in quickly after all the other stuff was in there except the green beans. But I got the lumps out and no one was the wiser. This is truly fabulous.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 2⁄3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup green beans
- 2⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2⁄3 cup cheddar cheese or 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large dutch oven over medium heat and cook onions, celery and carrots until soft but not brown. Add garlic, seasoned salt, pepper and chile powders and cook until very fragrant. Add flour and mix well. Cook until starting to color.
- Whisk milk and stock into vegetable flour mixture. Turn heat to medium high and continue to whisk as mixture comes to a simmer. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add rice to sauce and lower heat to medium low. Cook until the rice absorbs most of the liquid and is tender, stirring occasionally. Will take about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add raw chicken to the rice and sauce mixture. Cut green beans into 1 inch lengths and stir into the mixture as well. Cook approximately 4 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink on the outside. Stir in cheese.
- Pour mixture into a 9 x 13 inch casserole, or two 8x8 inch casseroles.
- Combine bread crumbs, cheese and garlic powder and sprinkle evenly over top of the casserole. Place in hot oven and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until topping is browned and casserole is bubbling.
- You really should cool for 10 minutes before cutting. You could garnish with parsley and lemon wedges. Or not :).