1/4 Photos of The BEST Chicken Pot Pie Ever!
1 hr 15 mins
I get a request from my family to make this dish at LEAST once a month. I typically make two at a time as these are eaten up quickly and they're wonderful to share with a neighbor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth (enough to cover breasts)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons butter (yes, 3 tablespoons!)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed (i use green beans, corn, carrots and peas)
- 2 medium potatoes, cooked and cubed (or 1 can small white potatoes, cubed)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 double crust pie crust
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1In a large saucepan over medium high heat, combine the chicken breasts, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear.
- 2Remove the chicken and let cool. Pour the remaining chicken broth mixture into a measuring cup. Let stand; spoon off fat. Add enough canned broth to equal 1 cup if needed. Add half and half to the broth mixture to equal 2 1/2 cups. Cut chicken into 1/2 inch pieces.
- 3In the same pan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Add the onion and celery. Saute, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in flour until well blended. Gradually stir in broth mixture and the herbs. Simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and boils. (you will think this is TOO MUCH liquid, but it's not). Add the chicken and vegetables to the broth and stir to combine. Line a deep pie dish with one of the pastries and pour mixture in, almost to the top.
- 4Cover mixture with second pastry, making sure to "seal the edges" by pinching together the top and bottom then pressing against the lip of the dish. Cut a few vent holes in the pastry then brush pastry with beaten egg. Use any leftover scraps from the pastries to make a design on top.
- 5Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve.
- 6When done, the inside ingredients will be thick and creamy.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The BEST Chicken Pot Pie Ever!
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 577.7
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 124.1 mg
- Sodium 807.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 33.6 g