Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is adapted from one created by Cook's Illustrated and published in the book "The New Best Recipe". Not for dieters, except on very special occasions, but oh so rich.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 24 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups marsala
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 ounces pancetta, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Place large heatproof plate in oven and heat to 200 degrees.
- Season chicken with pepper and dredge in flour.
- Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over medium high heat until shimmering. Add chicken and cook on each side for 3 minutes. Transfer chicken to heated plate and place in oven.
- Return skillet to low heat and add pancetta. Saute for 5 minutes. Remove pancetta from skillet and set aside.
- Add olive oil to skillet. Increase heat to medium high and add mushrooms. Saute about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, and reserved pancetta. Stir constantly about 1 minute.
- Add Marsala and lemon juice. Increase to high heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, add cornstarch, and stir vigorously until dissolved. Whisk in butter and parsley.
- Return chicken to skillet and simmer for 1 minute each side.