Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the best chicken casserole I ever made. My mother-in-law gave me the recipe. It's easy to make and allows for plenty of leftovers.
- 2 (2 lb) roasted deli chicken
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 3 1⁄4 cups canned chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 (6 ounce) packages long grain and wild rice blend
- 2 (8 ounce) packages sliced mushrooms
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups Ritz crackers, crushed (about 1 sleeve of crackers)
- 1 (6 ounce) can French-fried onions, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pick off all the chicken in shredded pieces and set aside for later.
- In a small bowl, combine the celery salt, curry powder, pepper, poultry seasoning, and onion powder. Set aside for later.
- Cook rice according to package but substitute dry sherry and chicken broth for the water and olive oil. Add ingredients from step 2 when adding rice.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add mushrooms and scallions and saute for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in rice, chicken, sour cream, and soup. Spoon mixture evenly into 2 8x8 casserole dishes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together crushed crackers, fried onions, 1/4 cup melted butter, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Sprinkle top of casserole evenly with cracker mixture.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes then uncover and bake for 5 to 10 minutes more.
Followed the recipe and it tasted like chicken salad. I did not like it because I felt sick after eating it. It was extremely unhealthy and wasn't tasty. Sorry. I will not make this again.
The whole family loved this recipe. It is easy to make and very favorful.
I used cooked cubed chicken and orzo, a durum wheat semolina pasta, looks like big grains of rice (Davinci brand)16 ozs. cooked 8 minutes only.Some of my family will not eat rice and of course I love it! Made ahead and refrigerated, then cooked 10 more minutes covered. Delicious! I also used canned mushroom stems and pieces, drained.It is very easy to prepare but looks complicated. So go for it, a pleaser!