1 hr 15 mins
Chef #279248's Note:
This is the best chicken casserole I ever made. My mother-in-law gave me the recipe. It's easy to make and allows for plenty of leftovers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (2 lb) roasted deli chicken
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 3 1/4 cups canned chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 (6 ounce) packages long grain and wild rice blend
- 2 (8 ounce) packages sliced mushrooms
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1/2 cups Ritz crackers, crushed (about 1 sleeve of crackers)
- 1 (6 ounce) can French-fried onions, crushed
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1Pick off all the chicken in shredded pieces and set aside for later.
- 2In a small bowl, combine the celery salt, curry powder, pepper, poultry seasoning, and onion powder. Set aside for later.
- 3Cook rice according to package but substitute dry sherry and chicken broth for the water and olive oil. Add ingredients from step 2 when adding rice.
- 4Melt 1/2 cup butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add mushrooms and scallions and saute for 10 minutes or until tender.
- 5Stir in rice, chicken, sour cream, and soup. Spoon mixture evenly into 2 8x8 casserole dishes.
- 6In a medium bowl, stir together crushed crackers, fried onions, 1/4 cup melted butter, paprika, and garlic powder.
- 7Sprinkle top of casserole evenly with cracker mixture.
- 8Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes then uncover and bake for 5 to 10 minutes more.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Chicken Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 611.3
- Calories from Fat 361
- Total Fat 40.1 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 174.7 mg
- Sodium 914.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 47.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
long grain and wild rice blend