Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is essentially the recipe on a box of Chex, adjusted to my taste. I like extra seasoning, a kick from hot sauce, and a few other adjustments. I also leave out the bagel chips; they just don't seem very Chex Mix-y to me.
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Pickapeppa Sauce (optional)
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 cups Corn Chex
- 3 cups Rice Chex
- 2 cups Wheat Chex
- 1 1⁄2 cups mixed nuts
- 2 cups small pretzels (I use the sticks)
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- In ungreased large roasting pan, melt butter in oven.
- Stir in seasonings.
- Gradually stir in remaining ingredients until evenly coated.
- Bake one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Spread on paper towels to cool, about 15 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container.
Good chex mix with a bit of a kick -- I used half the amount of hot sauce (Frank's) and the lesser amount of seasoning salt (Tony's) so I could give it as gifts for a variety of people's taste preferences. Used peanuts instead of mixed nuts, Rold Gold cheddar tiny twist pretzels, and added a cup of goldfish crackers to each batch.
When I make this for DH and me, I will use the full amount of hot sauce and seasoning salt and probably double the seasonings for a really bold blend .
I grew up on this stuff - and - the recipe is as I remembered! Overall I call this a 10! I added 1 Cup of Cherrios, 1 Cup of Cheddar Fish things. I added a tbsp of Virgin Olive Oil. I went with un-saulted nuts and put a ginch more Oninion, Garlic, Seasoning Salt to compensate.
I did not: Use Paper Towels to dry.
I did: Put everything in a very large Pretzel Jar to store.
I plan: To add either Raisens or M$M's for sweetness.
I do think you need to give this think 18-24 hours to "Ferment". I ate some 1 hour out of the oven - not good.
Regardless - a fantastic recipe. I should also say I bought generic cereal - did not harm it one iota.
Thanks to Ameliahead!
FYI - Worcestershire sauce is not vegetarian.