Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
think I found this in a magazine or it was given to me years ago, absolutely lives up to it's name.
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 1⁄4 cups raisins
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- In large mixing bowl, beat eggs, oil and buttermilk.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, add to egg mixture and mix well.
- Stir in vanilla, carrots, raisins, pineapple, walnuts and coconut, mix well.
- Pour into greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until cake tests done.
- For frosting, beat all ingredients (except walnuts) in a mixing bowl until smooth, frost cake.
- Sprinkle top with chopped walnuts.
I have been using this recipe minus the raisins for over 10 years and it is absolutely the best recipe I have ever tasted or made. I also double the cream cheese for the icing to cut down on the sweetness a tad bit, but I have made just like the recipe calls for.
Great recipe I used more carrots and pineapple also opted for golden raisins instead of regular raisins this cake is wonderfully moist and definitely the best recipe I've tried many carrot cakes and this one is top notch hats off to you Podapo
The cake was really really good, moist and full of good stuff but I would have preferred a more traditional, fluffy cream cheese icing. This icing was more like a thick sweet glaze, which was good but maybe a little overwhelming for the rich cake.