This is an easy recipe to make for those unexpected needs that arise. I always keep the ingredients on hand. Everyone always requests this recipe.
- Mix (by hand) cake mix with 1/4 cup evaporated milk and 1/2 cup melted butter; add nuts if using.
- Batter will be stiff.
- Press half of batter into bottom of 9 x 13-inch pan. I use wax paper and a small rolling pin to make this process easier.
- Bake at 350° for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt caramels with 1/2 cup evaporated milk in microwave or in double boiler.
- Remove bottom layer from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips, then drizzle with caramel.
- Top with remaining batter by rubbing batter between fingers and dropping evenly (will not cover completely).
- Bake 18- 20 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting.
Excellent brownies! My Mom has been making these for years... one thing that makes the whole process easier is using caramel sundae sauce instead of actual caramels. Makes delicious gooey brownies! :)
These are fantastic, extremely rich and gooey, easy and yummy. Everyone at our BBQ loved them. I made one small change. It seemed like the brownie was going to turn out rather thin, at least thinner than we like, so i used an 11 x 7 pan instead of a 13 x 9. To make the topping more smooth and even, I just pinched the dough into ping pong sized balls and flattened them out with my hands and then placed them so that they slightly overlapped each other. The brownies came out lovely and were gone in a flash. Using this size pan and cutting them into about 2 inch pieces yielded me 15 pieces.
i used a yellow cake mix instead of chocolate and it turned out great. I also drizzled white chocolate and used almonds in the mix so it was more like a caramel blondie than a brownie. this is so easy and you can do so many variations depending on cake mix flavor and add ons. this is a keeper!