Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
These will be the best calzones you will ever make. They are easy and very tasty. The dough is made in the bread machine. You can put any meat and cheese combination you want. The Sauce is good for the calzones meatballs and spaghetti. We make 2-3 batches at a time and freeze them for lunches. The sauce and the calzone both freeze well.
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- cornmeal, for sprinkling
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cubed mozzarella cheese
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 20 -28 slices pepperoni
Simple Tomato Sauce
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Place ingredients in bread machine in order given.
- Set the machine to dough cycle (2 lb setting if you have that feature).
- Start the machine.
- Calzone Filling:.
- Heat oven to 425°.
- Mix all filling ingredients except pepperoni in a bowl.
- When the dough is ready, punch it down.
- Divide into 4 equal balls.
- On a floured surface, roll each ball into a 6 to 6 1/2 inch circle.
- Place 1/4 filling (about a half a cup) on each dough circle keeping a one inch border.
- Place 5 to 7 slices pepperoni in each.
- Dampen the dough edges with water.
- Fold the dough into semi-circles and seal the edges by pinching together.
- Place completed calzones on baking sheet sprinkled with corn meal.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes until golden.
- Simple Tomato Sauce:.
- Sauté the garlic over medium heat in olive oil for a minute. Add the tomatoes and salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes.
Papa Gino's used to make these great cheese calzones--I was looking for a recipe that was similar, thankyou for this!! Yum!!