Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
I found this recipe a long time ago, and it has become a huge brunch request and breakfast favorite.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, butter, and egg yolks.
- In another medium bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture and stir just until combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter just until combined.
- Heat a lightly buttered griddle or cast-iron skillet.
- For each pancake, gently spread 1/4 cup of the batter on the hot surface to form a 4-inch circle. Cook over moderately low heat until the top is set, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and continue cooking until golden, about 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a large plate and keep warm while you cook the remaining pancakes.
- Divide the pancakes among plates, and serve with your favorite maple or fruit syrup.