1 hr 30 mins
This cake is a bit of work, but it's so worth it! Top with your favorite brand of butter pecan ice cream and you'll think you've died and gone to heaven!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup butter or 3/4 cup high-quality stick margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 larg eggs
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1Prepare the pecans: Preheat the oven to 350°.
- 2Put the 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) of butter in a shallow baking pan with the chopped pecans and put the pan in the oven for 15- 20 minutes, stirring the pecans and melted butter every few minutes, until the fragrance is wonderfully toasty.
- 3Watch carefully near the end to avoid burning.
- 4Remove from pan and set aside.
- 5Grease and flour three 8 or 9-inch round layer cake pans.
- 6Prepare the cake: In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the 3/4 cup (1 1/2) sticks of butter.
- 7Beat in the 2 cups of sugar, creaming well.
- 8Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 9Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- 10Add the 2 teaspoons of vanilla to the milk.
- 11Beat the flour mixture into the batter in thirds, alternating with the milk mixture.
- 12Fold in 1 1/3 cups of the butter-toasted pecans into the cake batter.
- 13Divide batter equally into the prepared pans.
- 14Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- 15Cool and remove from pans.
- 16Prepare the frosting: Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over low-medium heat and stir in the flour.
- 17Stir until all of the flour has been moistened or at least colored a little by the butter.
- 18Stir in the milk just a little at a time, stirring constantly and incorporating all the milk each time before adding more, working to incorporate all the flour and avoid lumps.
- 19Continue until all the milk is in and the mixture is thickened and smooth.
- 20Transfer to the small bowl of an electric mixer, and beat to remove any lumps you missed.
- 21Cool completely.
- 22When the flour mixture is cool, beat in the teaspoon of vanilla, then the softened butter.
- 23Add the 1 cup of sugar, and beat 2 minutes at medium speed, until the mixture is fluffy and no graininess from sugar remains.
- 24Fold in the fat-free Cool Whip and the remaining 2/3 cup of butter-toasted pecans.
- 25Fill and frost the top of the cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Butter Pecan Cake
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 702.0
- Calories from Fat 356
- Total Fat 39.5 g
- Saturated Fat 17.1 g
- Cholesterol 137.2 mg
- Sodium 461.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 51.0 g
- Protein 8.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fat-free cool whip