Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
These megabrownies are supestars. Chewy, but not mucky or sludgy, these are a real favorite in my home.
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped walnuts (optional) or 2 cups pecans (optional)
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Spray a 9 by 13 inch baking pan lightly with nonstick spray.
- Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Set aside.
- Mix together the melted butter, granulated and brown sugars, vanilla and eggs.
- Beat well on low speed with a mixer.
- Stir together dry ingredients and fold into the egg mixture.
- Blend well.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Smooth the top with a wet knife or metal spatula.
- Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until set and slightly firm but not dry.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack, then freeze for 1 hour.
- Unmold and peel off the parchment paper.
- Cut into squares roughly 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches.
- Wrap each in waxed paper and keep frozen or refrigerated.
- To serve for a party, pile the brownies on a platter and dust with confectioners sugar.
- Variation: Brownies under the snow.
- Cut the brownies into small squares and toss them in superfine sugar or regular granulated sugar that has been pulverized in a food processor.
It had a nice fudgy flavor, but it WAS mucky and sludgy. I followed the recipe exactly, and baked according to your instructions, but it was still very wet, so I baked it further, but that left me with the corners hard and dry, and the center just a little less wet.
Ok I have to admit, I did not make these, my DD did, she doesn't do nuts, so she left them out, I got to try one that they saved for me and even the next day, it was moist and really good- Thanks Marie Alice!