I absolutely love the sausage breakfast burritos that McDonald's sells. This recipe is by no means a copycat, but it was definitely an inspiration for this recipe. I have tweaked it for over a year, and this is the final product. This is a terrific recipe if you're on the go, and it's really easy to throw together. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 large eggs
- 1 lb chorizo sausage (Mexican or Argentinian)
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) bag O'Brien potatoes, frozen
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 cups four-cheese Mexican blend cheese or 2 cups cheddar cheese
- hot sauce (I use Goya Salsita Chile de Arbol)
- 8 burrito-size flour tortillas (I use Mission)
- 11. Crack all 12 eggs into a bowl. Poke each yolk with a fork, add 1/2 teaspoons of the pepper and 1 1/2 tsp.of the salt and beat the eggs thoroughly. Set aside.
- 22. Add oil to a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the potatoes according to package directions, turning every 5 minutes or so until potatoes start to brown. Add the remaining salt and pepper after 10-14 minutes, about halfway through cooking time.
- 33. While the potatoes are cooking, remove the chorizo from the casings and thoroughly cook the meat in a large fry pan over medium heat, breaking up the meat as it cooks. If there is a large amount of grease, blot away some, but not all away, with a paper towel.
- 43. Lower the heat to medium, give the eggs a quick scramble and then add them to the chorizo. Continue cooking the eggs and chorizo until the mixture is on the dry side. Use the spatula to break up the eggs and chorizo into "crumbles.".
- 54. Add the chorizo and egg mixture to the potatoes and gently fold it into the potatoes.
- 65. Now set up your burrito station. Place a griddle over medium heat. Place a plate near the griddle. Place your shredded cheese in a bowl near the burrito filling. Uncap your hot sauce.
- 76. Heat a tortillas for about 10 seconds on each side. Put it on the plate. Use a ladle and scoop out a level amount of the mixture into the lower center of the tortilla. Sprinkle a handful of cheese over the filling and shake some hot sauce on top. Fold in the right and left sides of the burrito and then bring the bottom flap over the mixture and roll it up.
- 87. Eat it and enjoy! Or nuke it for 20-30 secs. if it isn't hot enough for you.
- 98. For OAMC option, grab a piece of plastic wrap and wrap the burrito, making sure that the seam is down. Freeze the individual burritos for up to two months.
- 107. To reheat, remove the plastic wrap, place the burrito on a microwave-safe plate seam side down, and microwave it for about 2 1/2 minutes on high. (I have a 1000 watt microwave and this amount of time seems to work well for me. Make adjustments for your microwave.
- 118. Allow burrito to cool for 2 minutes before handling and ENJOY!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Breakfast Burritos (Oamc Option)
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 868.5
- Calories from Fat 490
- Total Fat 54.5 g
- Saturated Fat 20.0 g
- Cholesterol 367.6 mg
- Sodium 1841.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 38.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: