Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
After trying out several different bread machine challah recipes, I have come to find the best one. The challah it produces is so light and the perfect combination of sweet and salty. The bread machine I own is an Oster, nothing fancy. As with all bread machine recipes, I will say every once in a while I will have a flop, no idea why this happens sometimes. This recipe calls for 3 yolks, so I will post a link for something easy to do with the whites: Ultra Moist Easy Chocolate Bundt Cake. Everytime I make challah, I also make this cake.
- Place the ingredients into the bread machine in the above listed order. Make a small well in the flour for the yeast. Put bread machine on dough cycle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove dough from the machine onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into two equal halves. Divide each halve into three pieces, and braid. Place braid onto a cookie sheet covered with a piece of parchment paper. Cover the two braid with a dish towel. Let stand until double in size, about 30 minutes to an hour. Remove dish towel. Use a pastry brush and paint the challahs with beaten egg covering the entire loaf.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Until the bottom sounds hollow when tapped on.
- Remove from cookie sheet and let cool on baking rack.