1/17 Photos of The Best Bread Machine Challah
2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe originally comes from Kosher by Design by Susie Fishbein. I've been making this challah every week for the last two months, and it makes a delicious, rich challah. I don't use the bread machine method, making the dough in my Kenwood mixer and giving the final knead by hand, then braiding the challah and baking it in the oven. I'm posting this as a bread machine recipe at the request of Miraklegirl. BTW, I don't use all the water called for in the recipe, I usually add a bit at a time until I'm happy with the consistency of the dough.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the water, egg yolks, salt oil, flour, sugar and yeast in the bread machine pan, according to the manufacturer's directions.
- 2Process the ingredients in the dough cycle.
- 3Remove immediately when the machine beeps.
- 4Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 5Divide the dough in half.
- 6Divide each piece into three sections.
- 7Roll each section into a long strand.
- 8Braid the three strands, pinching the top and bottom ends together.
- 9Place on a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet.
- 10Repeat with the remaining dough, making the second challah.
- 11Let the challot rise, covered, for 30 minutes.
- 12Brush the challot with the beaten egg.
- 13Sprinkle with the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or a combination of both.
- 14Bake for 30 minutes.
- 15Cool on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Bread Machine Challah
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 278.8
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 92.3 mg
- Sodium 229.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 6.6 g