3 hrs 30 mins
My DH is an excellent home chef and prefers cooking meat. He has tried many recipes for short ribs and did not love the results until now. This recipe came from Anne Burell, she's a Food Network star with a show on Saturday mornings. Her show is our favorite! And, wow, these short ribs...OMG! We served them with pasta and roasted brussel sprouts but next time I will do mashed potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 bone-in beef short ribs (about 5 3/4 pounds)
- kosher salt
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut in 1/2 lengthwise, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 1/2 cups tomato paste
- 2 -3 cups hearty red wine
- 2 cups water
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, tied with kitchen string
- 2 bay leaves
- 1Season each short rib generously with salt. Coat a pot large enough to accommodate all the meat and vegetables with olive oil and bring to a high heat.
- 2Add the short ribs to the pan and brown very well, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Do not overcrowd pan. Cook in batches, if necessary.
- 3Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- 4While the short ribs are browning, puree all the vegetables and garlic in the food processor until it forms a coarse paste.
- 5When the short ribs are very brown on all sides, remove them from the pan.
- 6Drain the fat, coat the bottom of same pan with fresh oil and add the pureed vegetables. Season the vegetables generously with salt and brown until they are very dark and a crud has formed on the bottom of the pan, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- 7Scrape the crud and let it reform.
- 8Scrape the crud again and add the tomato paste.
- 9Brown the tomato paste for 4 to 5 minutes.
- 10Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan. Lower the heat if things start to burn.
- 11Reduce the mixture by half.
- 12Return the short ribs to the pan and add 2 cups water or until the water has just about covered the meat.
- 13Add the thyme bundle and bay leaves.
- 14Cover the pan and place in the preheated oven for 3 hours.
- 15Check periodically during the cooking process and add more water, if needed.
- 16Turn the ribs over halfway through the cooking time.
- 17Remove the lid during the last 20 minutes of cooking to let things get nice and brown and to let the sauce reduce.
- 18When done the meat should be very tender but not falling apart.
- 19Serve with the braising liquid.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Braised Short Ribs
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 106.9
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 410.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef short ribs