1/4 Photos of The Best Braciole
2 hrs 30 mins
Recipe Reader's Note:
This is Giada DeLaurentis's recipe from her book Everyday Italian, and it is so wonderful. She does suggest to be creative with the flavorings by using different herbs or cheeses, if you'd like. This is sure to impress. The recipe looks a little lengthy, but it is not complicated or difficult. And don't worry if some of the stuffing falls out during the browning - just spoon it back in if you can, or let it blend into the sauce. It will be great. NOTE: I made 4 of these for a large gathering, browning them in a skillet, then baking them in a 11x15 pan 2 1/2 hrs mostly covered, 30 more minutes uncovered. (For this much, you only need 2 or 3 times the wine and sauce, not 4 times.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup provolone cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs flank steaks
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 1/4 cups marinara sauce (can use a jar of sauce)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Stir the cheeses, bread crumbs, parsley, garlic and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil together.
- 3Lay the flank steak out flat on work surface and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- 4Pat the bread crumb mixture over the steak.
- 5Starting at one short end, roll up the steak (like a jelly roll) and tie with butcher's twine. Season the outside with the remaining salt and pepper.
- 6Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy large ovenproof skillet over medium heat and add the flank steak.
- 7Cook, turning until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- 8Add the wine to the pan and bring to a boil, and stir in the tomato sauce.
- 9Cover partially with foil and bake until the meat is almost tender, turning the braciole and basting with the sauce every 30 minutes. After about 1 1/2 hours, uncover and continue baking until the meat is tender, about 30 minutes longer.
- 10Remove the braciole from the sauce. Cut the twine off, and slice into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- 11Transfer the slices to a platter, and spoon some sauce over the slices.
Nutritional Facts for The Best Braciole
Serving Size: 1 (498 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 801.0
- Calories from Fat 375
- Total Fat 41.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 142.2 mg
- Sodium 2148.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 20.1 g
- Protein 51.3 g