I am such a sucker for visuals. I saw these pancakes being made on a cooking show this morning (Cookworks), dashed out to buy fresh blueberries, and made these for dinner tonight. They did not disappoint! Try them; they're delicious!
- Please note that you'll also need additional unsalted butter to grease your skillet (you could also use nonstick cooking spray like Pam; I did some with butter and some with Pam and all worked fine and tasted great).
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, and salt (I do this through a sieve, not with a sifter).
- After melted butter has cooled down, beat the eggs with the buttermilk in a separate bowl then whisk in the melted butter.
- Using a wooden spoon or a spatula, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine just until you have a lumpy batter; do NOT overmix.
- Over medium-high heat, heat some butter in a large skillet (you could use a griddle too, of course).
- For each pancake, use a generous 1/4 cup of batter; after spooning batter into skillet, sprinkle top of each pancake with blueberries and press them in slightly.
- I was quite generous with sprinkling the blueberries, then when I got to my last pancake I found I didn't have many left, so you may want to have some extra blueberries on hand.
- Cook each pancake for approximately 2 minutes per side; the length of time will depend on how hot you have the heat, how well your skillet retains the heat, etc.
- Keep pancakes warm in a low oven as you make them, then serve; best when served with real maple syrup.
At first I was a little bit worried about these pancakes because they went on the griddle very thin, but then they poofed up very nicely. They had a really delicious taste and I will definately be using this recipe again. Thanks for posting!
these were wonderful!! the only changes, 1 cup whole wheat white flour and 1 cup all purpose, 2 tsp pure lemon extract, and I used 16 oz frozen blueberries. I put the frozen berries in the dry ingredients and mix to coat then add the wet ingredients, this way the berries dont clump. YUM YUM thanks
The best homemade pancakes I've had :) Very delicious!