Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These cupcakes have a firmer texture, more like a poundcake and wonderful flavor. After making these, I have a hard time eating the plain ones from just cake mix. Everyone I have made these for loves them. The recipe is from the Cupcake Doctor.
- 24 paper cupcake liners, for cupcake pans
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) packageplain butter recipe cake mix
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- frosting, of your choice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and blend on low speed with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Scrape sides of bowl; increase mixer speed to medium and beat for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes more. The batter should be smooth and thickened.
- Fill each cup 2/3 full and place in oven.
- Bake the cupcakes until they are golden and spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove pans from oven and cool on wire rack for 5 minutes before removing cups from pans. Cool completely before frosting.
- Eat as is or frost as desired.
When i first tried them out of the oven I was underwhelmed. They were good; but not "special" like I hoped.I had made 6 dozen for an event so I baked them 2 days ahead, frosted 1 day ahead and then served them. I was so shocked, I was was given so many compliments! I tried one of the few leftovers later and they were good. I think they actually got better over time. lol ate the last one about 1 week after they were baked and it was fabulous. Will be using again- thank you!
Fabulous! We made these for my son's birthday party. Frosted them with white frosting and used red gel frosting to make "stitches" for baseball cupcakes. Very cute and very yummy. Thank you for posting!
Delicious vanilla treats. I made these for my grandson's dedication. They were awesome. So very flavorful and they had a perfect crumb. Loved the addition of the cream cheese, it works beautifully in this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing. Made for What's on the Menu? Tag Game.