Prep 15 mins
Cook 16 hrs
I did a lot of experimenting to come up with a Vegetable beef soup that I really like. Most seem very bland to me or loaded with tomato sauce. This has a little kick to it, but I would never call it "hot" and spicy. Just a mild something extra that you don't usually taste in regular versions of this soup. I prefer to make this in the crockpot. It freezes beautifully. Don't add potatoes until you plan to eat it (microwave, chop, and add), especially if you plan to freeze this dish. I have found that potatoes get mushy in frozen soups.
- 2 lbs beef round steak, fat removed, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and browned
- 1 small onion, minced finely
- 2 (12 ounce) cansof spicy V8 vegetable juice
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄3 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (16 ounce) packagesfrozen birds eye mixed vegetables
- Add the first 2 ingredients to the crockpot.Also add 1 can of v-8 spicy and 1 can beef both. (Save the remaining cans for the next step.) Cook on low overnight for approximately 8-9 hours. The meat should be fork tender by morning.
- The next morning, add the rest of the ingredients to the crockpot including the remaining can of v-8 spicy and beef broth. Cook on low til dinnertime, appoximately 8-10 hours.
- I will set this up to cook before I go to work and when I get home at around 5, it's ready. Add microwaved and chopped potatoes to each bowl if you want a heartier soup.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
This was good and easy to make. I used leftover beef from a roast I made the night before. I thought this tasted better the next day after it sat.
I searched for a vegetable soup using V-8 juice and this one is absolutely wonderful. I used regular V-8 and added a little Tabasco sauce to rev it up. Hmmmm. Everyone who ate it, loved it. There was NONE leftover. So easy to make too!
Made this for an office carry in lunch..it doesnt get any easier and the flavor was super..Thanks.. will make again for home next time as I didn't get any..