Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This has been one of my families favorite meals for years. Very delicious.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cubed beef (I use sirloin)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 -2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups cooked rice
- add cubed beef to pan saute in butter and oil until browned; add enough water to come about 1/2 inch above meat.
- add onion and boil gently for about 1 1/2 hours.
- when meat is very tender pour off excess water.
- add 2 cans of soup and stir in the milk a little at a time to stir out lumps.
- add all other ingredients except for the rice and heat, stirring frequently.
- You can also add beef boullion to the rice as it is cooking.
This is a very easy recipe and according to my picky eater (age 13) it's THE BEST he's ever tasted. I didn't have 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup so used 1 can of mushroom and 1 can cream of chicken. Also didn't have cubed beef so used ground venison which cut the 1-1/2 hours of boiling time to nothing. This recipe, using ground, sliced, or cubed beef (or venison) will become a monthly meal at our house. Thanks so much.
I've tried a lot of stroganoff recipes and this one is the "best yet" according to my husband and son (a very finicky eater) I've also substituted chicken and dijon mustard (for the ketchup) and it worked as well. Thanks for the great recipe.