Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Different to all the others on here. This is simple to make and doesn't take ages. I always make a double one as there is never enough to go around...everyone will want seconds. Deviate from this recipe at your peril. I have followed this recipe exactly for years and have NEVER has a duff pie. Cook time does not include chill time.
- Blitz biscuits to fine breadcrumbs.
- Add mixed spice and melted butter and blend.
- Press the mixture into a lined loose bottomed cake tin, then chill well.
- Place butter and sugars into a non stick pan, melt until it turns to a liquid.
- Add the condensed milk and bring gently to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Boil steadily for EXACTLY 1 minute, stirring frequently to make a golden caramel.
- Add the treacle and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the caramel over the biscuit base and place in the fridge for about 1 Ã‚Â½ hours until firm.
- Arrange the bananas over the caramel.
- Cover with whipped cream.
- Dust with cocoa powder or chocolate curls to decorate.
Delicious, rich, smooth tasting version of a famous pie. I was worried this might be too sweet, but it was just right. This came out a lovely color and looked very elegant with the banana slices on top rather than buried in the caramel as in other versions I had eaten before. I made mine in a 9.5" wide loose bottomed tart pan, greased with a bit of oil.