Chef #817017's Note:
Yum! A classic recipe passed down through my family. I like to use very ripe older bananas for this and put them in a blender or food processor to get them super smooth! Also, use 1/4 cup of milk and 3/4 tsp vinegar for the buttermilk
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease and flour 13 x 9 Cake pan.
- 3Cream the sugar and shortening well.
- 4Add eggs and mix well.
- 5Mix the flour with the baking soda and set aside.
- 6Mash the bananas and add the buttermilk to the banana mixture.
- 7Alternately add the flour mixture.
- 8Add the bananas to the creamed mixture.
- 9Add the vanilla and 1/2 cup pecans if you like and mix well.
- 10(use 1/4 cup of milk and 3/4 tsp vinegar for the buttermilk).
- 11I like to mash the bananas in the blender to make them smoother.
- 12Bake 35 - 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out almost clean.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Banana Cake / Bread
Serving Size: 1 (80 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.0
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 30.0 mg
- Sodium 81.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 20.1 g
- Protein 2.5 g