Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe was given to me by my dear friend. I remember making this with her as a child...we crushed the walnuts in a bag using hammers!!!! Now I use a food processor ;-) Anyhow, she adapted this family recipe to be more flaky and reduced the amount of sugar, which really creates a light and flavorful baclava.
- Preheat oven 300.
- Mix walnuts, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl.
- brush 9x12 baking pan with butter.
- layer pan with half of the phyllo dough (10 sheets) brushing every other layer with melted butter. The layers should rise about 1/2 inch along the side of the pan.
- spread the walnut mixture over the phyllo dough.
- Continue to layer with the remaining 10 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing every other layer with melted butter, be sure to butter the top layer.
- cut baclava diagonally in 2 directions, do NOT cut below the walnut mixture!
- cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- remove foil and continue to bake until top is lightly browned.
- remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine honey, sugar and lemon juice.
- heat until sugar dissolves (DO NOT BOIL).
- pour honey mixture over baclava and let it sits until honey cools a bit.
- Cut through bottom layer and serve!