Cookin' in NJ's Note:
This recipe was given to me by my dear friend. I remember making this with her as a child...we crushed the walnuts in a bag using hammers!!!! Now I use a food processor ;-) Anyhow, she adapted this family recipe to be more flaky and reduced the amount of sugar, which really creates a light and flavorful baclava.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven 300.
- 2Mix walnuts, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl.
- 3brush 9x12 baking pan with butter.
- 4layer pan with half of the phyllo dough (10 sheets) brushing every other layer with melted butter. The layers should rise about 1/2 inch along the side of the pan.
- 5spread the walnut mixture over the phyllo dough.
- 6Continue to layer with the remaining 10 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing every other layer with melted butter, be sure to butter the top layer.
- 7cut baclava diagonally in 2 directions, do NOT cut below the walnut mixture!
- 8cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- 9remove foil and continue to bake until top is lightly browned.
- 10remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes.
- 11Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine honey, sugar and lemon juice.
- 12heat until sugar dissolves (DO NOT BOIL).
- 13pour honey mixture over baclava and let it sits until honey cools a bit.
- 14Cut through bottom layer and serve!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Baklava
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 548.6
- Calories from Fat 308
- Total Fat 34.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 209.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 37.1 g
- Protein 8.1 g